Nike Sportswear has just introduced a new silhouette with the arrival of the Nike EXP-X14.
The Nike Sportswear EXP-X14 both remembers Nike’s history and pushes the boundaries of lifestyle footwear through the use of numbers and transparent design elements. Here’s what you need to know about it.
The name and numbers
- EXP is shorthand for “experiment,” which was essentially how the Nike Sportswear designers adapted performance running features into a lifestyle shoe.
- The second part of the shoe’s name, X14, was the original internal codename for Nike React technology (which is used in the shoe’s midsole to provide cushion for all-day comfort).
- N3546, which is printed on the medial side, represents Steve Prefontaine’s fastest mile (3 minutes and 54.6 seconds) and nods to Nike’s rich history in running.
- With its translucent upper, this shoe is a modern take on the Nike Zoom Drive (a late-90s running shoe).
- The exposed TPU plate that cuts across the midsole and tapered heel emulate the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% shoes worn by Breaking2 athletes.
The Nike Sportswear EXP-X14 will be available beginning June 28 via SNEAKRS in Europe. From July 5, the shoe will be available from the Nike SNKRS app in North America, Greater China on nike.com and at select retailers.